Click here for the beginning of my story.


Friday, July 2, 2010

Another Catholic Convert Blog?


Even a cursory search will uncover a multitude of blogs by recent converts to the Catholic Church. In this age of widespread communication media, and knowing as I do the surging worldwide movement back to the unity of the Church which Our Lord Jesus Himself founded, I find this not in the least surprising. Indeed I am greatly heartened.

At the same time, what does one more convert have to say? What tale does a former Southern Baptist, an alumni of a prominent Evangelical university, who entered the Church 11 years ago after a long, winding (and at times frightening) journey have to tell? This blog will unfold that tale, and will include discussions along the way of all those well-known misinterpreted doctrines Evangelicals particularly love to bring up as solid objections to the Catholic Church.

I am no theologian, and only an amateur apologist, and so I will put forth the explanations of those doctrines in the manner in which I myself worked through them through prayer, study, and many hours before the Blessed Sacrament. The explanations will be most pointed towards Evangelical sensibilities, as by God's strange providence I understand the speech of both '"nations". I am filled I suppose with a passion to be in my own little way an ambassador of sorts, to interpret between my Catholic brothers and sisters, and my Protestant brothers and sisters, so that we can understand what each other is saying, and so work towards a common peace and unity in our One Lord Jesus Christ.

So please join me on this journey of nostalgia of my own conversion, and along the way take excursions into such regions as Church history, the Early Fathers, Carmelite spirituality, mystical theology and maybe even take flights into song, poetry and visions of life in all its richness as seen in the Light of Christ shining through His Enchanting Bride, the Church!

Part 1 of my Conversion Story: "A Letter to St. Benedict Abbey"

2 comments:

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Glad you became Catholic. I enjoy convert bloggers and their viewpoints.

I'd like to invite you to participate in Sunday Snippets - A Catholic Carnival at This That and the Other Thing every Sunday. Link: http://rannthisthat.blogspot.com/. You can sign up at yahoo groups to be reminded to participate. I've learned a lot from my fellow bloggers.

Bobby said...

Yes, Amen! Thank you for your blog! I love reading each one I come across. So, why another convert blog? Because you never know who will be reading and how they will to touched. God Bless you and you journey, and please pray for mine as a life long cradle catholic whose faith is always envigorated from stories like yours!